Monday, August 25, 2014

[MAJOR SPOILERS] The Fault In Our Stars - John Green

I won’t lie - I didn’t think it was great literature, but I sobbed like a baby. [MAJOR SPOILERS]


Unafraid of the hatred of a teenage Tumblr fandom, it does not bother my to say I’m on the fence about The Fault In Our Stars. I read it one evening after work, sobbing the entire way into my double order of spicy beef and noodles. Soggy eggrolls and tear sodden fortune cookies aside, after the initial emotional trauma of a tragic love story I didn't find myself particularly attached to the read. Those of you who know me at all, know that my highest rated Netflix category is “Romantic Tear Jerkers,” and I will cry at the slightest suggestion of something emotional. It should come as no surprise that I ruined my take out  with the salty tears of teenage heartache. John Green is inarguably a great storyteller, who has captured the essence of the teenage psyche in a way that many other authors have attempted and failed to write well. It is absolutely to his credit that he has reached so many millions of fans; as well as encouraged a love of books and reading in those who might otherwise turn on another episode of whatever replaced Jersey Shore on MTV. Green certainly tells a compelling narrative that pulled me in, but I can’t say I walked away from the book with anything more than a feeling of “well that time was better spent reading than watching Dirty Dancing for the 50th time.”


The plotline itself was highly predictable - privileged white young woman is slightly angstier than most as she faces living in perpetual cancer limbo. Neither in remission, not getting worse, Hazel just is.Arguably a much better reason to be depressing and angst ridden than most teenagers (especially you Bella Swan, I’m looking at you.) She immediately expresses her feelings that she is only a burden to those in her life, predominantly because all she will ever do is hurt people when she dies. This sets her on a course to eschew those she has not already committed to hurting, like her parents and instead spends all her time watching America’s Next Top Model re-runs (wait, do most people not do that?). My disappointment started here, as this really ruined the plot for the rest of the book. It was immediately apparent that she would forge a relationship, a romantic one, which will allow her to lower her guard on this front until that person does exactly what she fears she will do. Enter that someone, Gus. Gus Waters is the dreamboat of every well read, engaged, and intellectual teenage girl. Charming, eloquent, curious, good looking, and he plays basketball. From here unfolds the classic tale of star crossed lovers - only this time instead of a priest with some roofies and petty family feuds getting in the way, cancer plays the Montagues, and the Capulets. Now that I have spoiled the major plot twist for you all, you can read the rest yourself.


I did appreciate that both Hazel and Gus felt like significantly more relatable teenagers than characters in what I was reading in high school. Both are witty, and intellectual, engaged with their own feelings, and both have a distinct point of view carefully crafted from their own experience. It was refreshing to explore characters who were not typecast into Mean Girls-esque stereotypes, and who had opinions on more than the latest scandal circulating school. This made it that much more frustrating that the plot felt so pedantic. It was a gift to read such engaging main characters, and heart wrenching to watch them cling to each other as things fell apart, but I wanted them to have so much more. A rewrite of Romeo and Juliet with significantly less whining, (seriously, Juliet needed a solid reality check, from reality's hand to her face.) TFIOS left me feeling meh. It didn’t challenge me to think on another level, it didn’t leave me with any really big puzzles to chew on, it really just left me with some seriously sad and soggy fortune cookies.
I absolutely enjoy popcorn books, enjoyable reads that don’t leave a lasting impression, just like popcorn leaves you hungry a mere 20 minutes later. TFIOS was very much a popcorn book for me. Maybe I am too (prematurely) old and grumpy to really “get it,” although that’s a depressing thought, I had high hopes that Green would challenge his readers more. I’ve been watching his series VlogBrothers, a series of online conversations via video with his brother since high school, and I would highly recommend it. I have major respect for Green, from what to say about books and writing, and I love that he doesn’t talk down to his audience. In TFIOS Green has added a new dimension to the characters in a tired story, and treats teeangers as capable, intelligent, people with something to say. And yet, I feel he could have pushed it further. Personally, I wanted more, but I would most certainly recommend it to anyone looking for engaging characters, and doesn’t mind a good cry.

Boots says: I AM NOT A KLEENEX, and do not appreciate being used as such. It took a good 40 minutes of careful attention to my glossy coat to make it right after mom sobbed and snotted all over me. On the other paw, it was a short read so Mom had more time to pay attention to me,

No comments:

Post a Comment